[pct-l] Water Caches

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Mar 26 20:12:43 CDT 2007

Most people I've met and asked about hiking through the desert say they
don't count on water caches.  I know I passed a couple in washington and
oregon (one with beer!) and left them alone.  I did thank Frisian Rhino
(sp?) for leaving a note in the middle of the trail pointing to a water
source not on any maps or in any books only 150' from the trail down an
old logging road - somewhere north of Burney Falls I think it was,
before the McCloud River.  What a nice surprise.  A hot day in August
and more miles than I wanted to walk in front of me was suddenly ended.

Remember the feeling of drinking a couple three quarts of ice cold
spring water over a half hour, totally rehydrating???  Those are
memorable breaks.

Wishing I were planning a long one...

Jeffrey./..