[pct-l] Water Caches

Tom Reynolds tomreynolds_ilan at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 26 19:34:28 CDT 2007

This issue has been debated for years.

  You are incorrect in ststing: "Water caches exist for emergency use only. This is my most basic understanding."

  True, one should not COUNT on a water cache but they are for more than emergency use. They are designed to make Section A a little bit easier and in fact, for most thruhikers, they do.

  Take the San Felipe Hills cache, a Sierra Club cache. Hikers should carry enough water to make it to Barrel Springs but "even an extra quart at the halfway point is a real luxery" was the consensus nine years ago. There were some objections to this because the San Felipe Hills was seen as a "rite-of-passage" and the water cache made it less so.

  Take the Scissor Crossing cache, an ADZPCTKO effort. There is water at Scissors Crossings but it is ugly, cattle fouled water. If the cache is not empty the thruhiker can carry good water. More importently, the thruhiker can tank-up resting under the tree at Scissors as opposed to laborusly processing bad water to get ready for the 22 shade-free miles to Barrel Springs

  Take the cache before Oreflame Canyon, an ADZPCTKO effort. In the old days  one hunted for water in several off-trail locations. (One led to an incident) Sources were, in fact problematical and possibly trespassing was involved for some sources. Today, that's what one must do if the cache is empty. However, if the cache is full today's thruhiker can skip that routine.

  As always, purists can skip the water cache just as they can the ADZ.

  Tom

  PS: We do not pander the least resistance, as you say. We provide an option. Some how the thruhiker mentality and least resistance approach seems an oxymoron

stillroaming <pct at delnorteresort.com> wrote:
  First a question: Why are emergency, last resort water sources widely
advertised?

Water caches exist for emergency use only. This is my most basic
understanding.

With that basic understanding, the locations and status of caches should
remain anonymous. The very act of making this information public encourages
folks to use them. "If I didn't get enough water, I know a caches exists up
the trail." That is my twisted logic. By advertising the cache you pander to
the path of least resistance in all of us.

Further, why would you ask for assistance in stocking a cache, when you
don't expect a hiker to carry an extra gallon for their own needs? It's just
crazy! (that gallon is used by the time they reach gate 3. it's half gone
half way there)

Advertising/supporting a cache, for whatever reason, is a major
moral/ethical repsonsibility. Especially this year. I hope you can live with
that responsibility.

Scott Parks

unsubscribe or change options: