[pct-l] Final Brar Box and Regulations

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 00:34:23 CDT 2007

The following was compiled by members of the PCT-L on and off list:

Food Storage regulations and BearBox locations High Sierras PCT

THANK YOU ALL

I VIEW DISCOURAGING THE USE OF A BEAR CANISTER AS UNETHICAL.
I feel complete and accurate legal data should be presented freely, quickly,
accurately and clearly to any inquiring party in this country.  This is an
attempt to gather legal data that has not, to my knowledge, been so
presented and NOT an attempt to discourage the use of bear canisters.

According to what we have collected on the PCT-L, hard written and printed
data only (no hearsay) Sierra/PCT food storage requirements:

There are regulations requiring a legal and responsible form of food  storage in all area on the PCT through the Sierras through the Golden Trout Wilderness to 7 miles north of Hwy 120 at Tuolumne Meadows. (ref A. through G.)

745 Trail Pass exit for Lone Pine and there are bear boxes at Horseshoe Meadows

749 -753

Cottonwood Pass to the beginning of the Sequoia Wilderness is on the edge of a canister only area.  Regulations may or may not include bear bagging because the boundary is unclear.

753

In Sequoia, the only canister area on the PCT is from the southern Sequoia boundary to Goyot Pass

760 BEAR BOX Rock Creek Crossing

766 BEAR BOX Crabtree Meadows

766 BEAR BOX EAST Crabtree Ranger Station

767 BEAR BOX JMT junction or near)

770 BEAR BOX Wallace Creek

77?4 BEAR BOX Tyndall Creek Frog Pond

77?5 BEAR BOX Tyndall Creek

780

Kings Canyon

Forester Pass to Woods Creek Crossing (the suspended bridge next to the bear boxes)

Woods creek is the last box I've seen headed north until VVR at both ends of the lake. (off trail) then Red's Meadow.

784 BEAR BOX Center Basin Trail

787 BEAR BOX Vidette Meadow

790  BEAR BOXES

Independence/ Kersarge Pass trail

Second exit trail and others (3)

Boxes or canisters only

791 BEAR BOX Charlotte Lake (off trail)

795 BEAR BOX Lowe Rae Lake

795 BEAR BOX Middle Rae Lake (2)

797 BEAR BOX Arrowhead Lake

800 BEAR BOX Woods Creek Crossing

>From Woods Creek crossing to the Northern Kings Canyon boundary there are no bear boxes.   Canister and bagging are the only acceptable methods.  These regulations are specific on the only hanging methods acceptable.

854

Muir Wilderness

North of Kings Canyon from Piute Pass Trail almost to Lake Virginia (31 miles)
bear bagging or canisters are required.

890

Just before Lake Virginia to just after Duck Lake (4.8 mile stretch)
canisters are the only legal methods for camping.

>From Duck Lake (mile 895) to Mile 900 canisters and bagging only.

900

North through Red Cones to 905 canisters only, no boxes.

905

North through Red's Meadow to Agnew Meadows canisters, bear box or bagging are required.

907 BEAR BOX Reds Meadow

915
>From Agnew Meadow 25 trail miles north to

941

Tuolumne Meadows Campground bear
boxes at Highway 120, canisters are the only method permissible for camping
because there are NO bear boxes.

941 BEAR BOX Tuolumne campground

941 Northbound 7 miles from road canister only

Last of regulation controls on bear safety food storage methods

Sources:
Kings Canyon/Sequoia

A.   http://www.nps.gov/archive/seki/snrm/wildlife/food_storage.htm

Sierra NF/Ansel Adams/Muir Wilderness and Golden Trout Wilderness

B. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/recreation/wilderness/wildregs.shtml

C. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/sitespecific.shtml

D. http://www.tinyurl.com/yss88r

Muir/Ansel Virginia Lake to Rainbow Falls Maps

E. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bearmaps/bearcanmapduckpass.doc
F.  http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/bearmaps/bearcanmaprushcr.doc

Yosemite

G.   http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.htm

Box Locations

H. http://www.nps.gov/archive/seki/bear_box.htm
I.  http://climber.org/data/BearBoxes/map.html

PCT Guidebook

PCT Data Book

Corrections and Updates:
Please send me URLs to anything that brings more clarity and a brief
description of how the information improves (makes more accurate) these
findings.

montypct at gmail.com

Warner Springs Monty