[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Wed Mar 21 15:21:19 CDT 2007

Donna,
I have first-hand experience of black bears being hand fed in Yellowstone in
the early 50's. I remember seeing them fed thru car windows and from the
steps of cabins at Old Faithful Village.

I don't remember that bears were a big issue on our 2002 CDT trip. The NPS
assigned campsites and insisted that we hang our food from the poles in the
sites. If we carried a bear canister, we still had to hang our food from the
poles. Same rules in Glacier. The poles were tall metal poles placed away
from other tall objects. Each pole had several arms with a chains attached
for raising food sacks.

I am no sure why the California bears are so much smarter about getting
food. And I wonder if the bear poles used in the other parks would work in
California. That would eliminate the bothersome carrying of bear canisters

Ken