[pct-l] Did you say books? Paperback books?

BLW ben at blowphoto.net
Tue Mar 20 21:42:21 CDT 2007

Good trail reading?

How Green Was My Valley, Richard Llewelyn
The Immense Journey, Loren Eiseley
West With the Night, Beryl Markham

holy cow I love books!

Shakespeare's Sonnets
Cane, Jean Toomer
Berlin Stories, Christopher Isherwood
Grizzly Years, Doug Peacock
The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald
The Aeneid, Virgil
Don Quixote, Cervantes (it's heavy, but a damn good book)
The Divine Comedy, Dante
Leaves of Grass, Whitman (yeah!)
The Abstract Wild, Jack Turner

Poetry is fun, especially under moonlight.  Also, I look for what I
call "travel books", which are usually thin paperback compilations of
short stories by famous (and infamous) authors like Virginia Woolf
and E.E. Cummings.  Finally, a paperback Shel Silverstein will have
you laughing all day, and anything by Cormac McCarthy will put your
mind to work (a little darker than most, but one of the best American
authors living today).

Grizzly Years and The Abstract Wild are probably the most hiker-
oriented reads in there, but I've read 98% of that list on trails of
some sort, and each was a delightful addition to the surrounding beauty.

Ben
(no trailname...yet)