[pct-l] looking 4 a light wieght digital camera

Brian Lewis brianle at nwlink.com
Tue Mar 20 13:43:25 CDT 2007

The ideal camera is going to vary by the individual, but I recently bought a
new camera due to the battery issue --- I don't plan to do much or any of
the PCT this year, but am hoping to do a big chunk or all of it in 2008, and
want to get my equipment in order for that ahead of time.

I guess some folks do send chargers for whatever electronics they have along
in a bounce bucket, but I wanted one I could just send disposable batteries
for along in a cache or buy in a town --- if you search for light cameras
that work with AA batteries, that narrows your search considerably.

I finally settled on a Pentax Optio M20.   It lacks the wide angled lense
that my Kodak v570 has, and after whatever PCT I do next year I'll likely go
back to that for most trips.   I weighed my Optio M20 at 159 grams (5.6 oz)
including lithium AA batteries and a 2 GB SD card, including the camera
strap.  It wasn't that expensive, I don't recall the exact price.

I looked at various camera review sites online and found it challenging to
search for cameras based on battery type and weight.  This site lets you
factor in battery type, and you can sort of get the weight narrowed down by
other factors, such as specifying a small LCD screen:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php

	Brian Lewis