[pct-l] JMT Unsupported Speed Record?

jeff.singewald at comcast.net jeff.singewald at comcast.net
Sun Mar 18 23:17:06 CDT 2007

I have seen a number of posts periodically that have discussed the unsupported speed records for a JMT thru-hike on this list.  I have been considering this recently and would like to do some preliminary investigation and planning.  Can anyone provide some information on the following:

What is the official record?

What does unsupported mean?  Can I use a food drop or re-supply (either at Muir TR or Reds Meadow)  or do I need to pack all food from start to finish?

If I start from the south, do I start at the summit of Mt. Whitney or Whitney Portal?  I presume this would be the summit but I wanted to check to be certain.

How does one certify the start and end time?

Are there any official "rules" for such a stunt?  I know Reinhold has held the record several times, but I have never seen any official rules of any sort.

Really just exploring this at this point so any info the trail community would be willing to share would be appreciated.

Elevator