[pct-l] Clumps, herds and where to find them...

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Wed Mar 14 13:55:14 CDT 2007

stillroaming wrote:
>> The key question that I think remains unanswered is:
>> What do people think a 'normal' pattern, absent a KO, would be?
>
> Simple answer: A collection of hikers without artificially influenced start
> dates results in natural patterns.
>
> There is no 'normal' start date. It will vary from year to year. The
> resulting 'pattern' is unimportant. What is important, people are not
> influenced by the will of a few who choose a start date a year in advance,
> resulting in 'unnatural' dispersion.

i have a question for you scott. what if, every year, the organizers of
the kickoff conducted a scientific study of the weather patterns in the
months leading up to the kickoff, and were able to come up with an
optimal date for the kickoff, based solely on that year's weather
conditions, and a statistically-derived average pace of a typical
thru-hiker (based on hard data).

the kickoff would happen on that optimal date, regardless of where it
falls, weekday or weekend. would you then be in support of the kickoff?

girlscout