[pct-l] Repair of Carbon Fiber Poles

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 11:22:49 CDT 2007

_gottawalk at pacbell.net_ (mailto:gottawalk at pacbell.net)   writes:

Beware,  carbon fiber poles are fragile. I snapped mine is a very heavy
rainstorm as I  tried to push it through a wet sleeve and it was sticking. I will
carry a 4  inch piece of tubing for a quick field repair.
That is very interesting.  I  have had the same issue with carbon fiber
poles.  You have to be  gentle.  I have a very light repair tubing too, that I will
carry if I get  some carbon fiber poles.

One thing about the Hubba tent is  that it uses clips to attach the poles to
the tent.  That might be a little  easier, but I have learned my lesson about
being rough with carbon fiber  poles.  That does not work.

I wonder about the 40 mph wind limitation too with the Hubba tent.  On  the
PCT you can easily face winds above that.  But if you pitch your  shelter
wisely, then may be that is not a big deal.  Many times I have  heard the wind
around the camp area and it sounds like it is going 70 mph.   All the noise gets
your attention.  That is why I carry ear  plugs.  :-)

Switchback the  Windy
http://www.aol.com.