[pct-l] The Herd is a FACT...

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 23:02:34 CDT 2007

2 KO-type Events? Interesting idea.

The end of the trail doesn't seem viable. Let's not forget the serious competition represented by the annual Gatherings of both ALDHA-West (last weekend of September) and ALDHA (1st weekend of October). Any available vendors are probably already committed to those as are the vast bulk of the organized long-distance hiking communities of both coasts. Besides, after 2600 miles, aren't most ready to just go home?

Personally, I feel the new class should take the responsibility on themselves to do their own research via forums, trail journals, etc. rather than depending on the KO. Things like the location and schedule for water caches can be posted on the myriad of forums and at PO's, and trail angels' along the route. I'm still undecided whether it's a good thing for the uninitiated or a good idea whose time has become  less so  dueto increasing numbers of hikers starting from there each year. Yes, the calendar and the weather combined dictates a narrow starting window for any given year, ADZPCTKO or not.

It might be more beneficial to develope something similar to Meadow Ed's birthday party/Ray Day at Kennedy Meadows, but further north along the trail. Those who are going to drop out because it's not what they expected should have pretty well done so by then. What's left should, for the most part, be the motivated hikers who have a good probability of getting all the way to Canada, or at least as far as they had set out to go this year. The question is, would the hikers be willing (or able) to pause for that? Apparently they do for Ray Day.

Where to do this 2nd party? My first thought would be Ashland, Oregon but there's really nothing near the trail that would accomodate this. Alternatively, Castle Craigs State Park near Castella, CA comes to mind, right along I-5 and the trail goes right past it.  Also Cascade Locks, Oregon - right on the Columbia River with a big city park right near the trail - a very popular layover spot and a major re-supply point before entering WA state with access to Portland's airport.

Wandering Bob