[pct-l] The Herd is a FACT...

Brian McLaughlin bmclaughlin at bigplanet.com
Tue Mar 13 19:48:57 CDT 2007

I well understand L-Rod's concerns, but I feel compelled to point
out that a great many factors induce thru-hikers to start their
nobo hikes within a relatively short period. TheADZPCTKO
is only one of them. For good or ill, nobos are going to cluster
their starts within roughly a 2-week period near the end of April
in most any year, and the 2 or 3 weekends during this period
would still see the lion's share of hikers starting each year.

So, while it is undeniable that there is a strong correlation between
the ADZPCTKO and the start of most nobo hikes, this correlation
is not exactly causal. In fact, I think it would be fair to say that
the organizers of the ADZPCTKO originally chose their date, not
to attract hikers, but because that date was when most hikers
would be in the vicinity. IOW, the cause was in place before the
ADZPCTKO began and would be there without it.

Much like the Saufleys, who do so much for hikers (as she correctly
and proudly states below) the ADZPCTKO organizers are also
volunteers, who provide a keenly appreciated service to (Nobo) hikers.
I think the conflict between them is mostly apparent, but not
substantive.

If the ADZPCTKO were abolished, I surmise that the Saufley's (and
others') problems with hikers bunching up in a short time period and
straining the hospitality of various service providers along the trail
might ease slightly. But only slightly. And much would be lost.

However, I would urge all 2007 nobos to consider shifting
their start day to something more individual and eccentric,
if you feel you could happily skip the ADZPCTKO, and
give the Saufleys a bit of a break and yourself a bit more
elbow room, apart from the crowd, er, herd, er, hoard.