[pct-l] Words about the HERD

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 13 20:22:08 CDT 2007

Ahhh, the dependency question.  Do thru-hikers need to be spoon fed information at an event? Or, should they do their homework ahead of time and know what the conditions they are going to encounter are going to be? And, how much do you believe the experiences of others? Personally, I found this to be a bad practice as people present information through their own filters, and their filters are nothing like mine.  This turned out to be very true with information given to me about the trail, whether I was on or off the trail.  People tell you all kinds of things that don't turn out to be true.  Believing what they tell you can have consequences.

I suspect it's unlikely that the ADZ planners will have a moratorium, but I and others would certainly welcome it.

Yes, I expect that the numbers of hikers will continue to increase over time.  All the more reason that having a starting event is a bad idea in my book.

I can't help you with the last one!

L-Rod