[pct-l] Words about the HERD

Slyatpct at aol.com Slyatpct at aol.com
Tue Mar 13 18:02:58 CDT 2007

In a message dated 3/13/2007 5:45:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dsaufley at sprynet.com writes:

When I  raise the issue, it's "blah, blah, blah." Geez, for all we do for
hikers, and  in fact have done for the both of you, you think we'd deserve a
little more  respect than that. Sorry that what we see out here, and what we have
to say  about our observations, has no weight in your  opinion.

Hi Donna,

I wasn't trying to be disrespectful with my ADZ dead horse comment, just
trying to interject a little humor, sorry.

It's just that we differ in the solution.  For the last 8 years that  I've
been paying attention the amount of PCT hikers has gone up 5 fold.   IMO, the
start date isn't as important as "Ray Day" or making it to  Canada.  If you work
the mileage in reverse, you can get your start  date.  I really don't see how
moving the Kick Off or canceling it  altogether is going to make much
difference.

I think there's about 300 hikers per year with half of those starting a day
or two of the KO.  I imagine the other 150 starting a up to a  couple weeks
before or after, all keeping in mind when to get to KM.   Yes that puts the
pressure on the trail services in southern CA through June as  "the Clump' makes
it's way north.  KM sees most all the hikers  within a two week period.  As a
hiker, I can't see anyway around it,  short of quotas at Campo and that's never
going to happen.  Atleast I hope  not.

As far as addressing the town services issue, I really don't know what to
say.

Sly

.
http://www.aol.com.