[pct-l] The Herd is a FACT...

dsaufley at sprynet.com dsaufley at sprynet.com
Tue Mar 13 16:14:18 CDT 2007

Carl and Everyone in PCT-Land,

With much respect, the bunching happens in many places, not just at Hiker Heaven. For example:

* The horror stories for the Warner Springs PO are legendary.  The local postmistress told Jeff that she's complained to the ADZ organizers on more than one occasion.
* We heard from last year's crowd of 35 hikers camped in a campground mean for a dozen. Unimpacted areas were trampled.
* Meadow Mary reported seeing 66 hikers pass cross Pines-to-Palms (since renamed) in one day.
* Billy Goat reported seeing over 50 hikers leaving Kennedy Meadows in one day.
* Many hikers reported caches dessimated when they arrived.
* 2006 hikers told me that while they may have had some time alone on the trail during the day, they hadn't had a night alone outside of the earshot of others in the first 454 miles of the trail.  a
* Whether a "mob mentality" is to blame, or whether the herd is responsible for creating such a mentality or not, there were unprecedented problems in 2006 with trash on the trail and at caches by thru-hikers.  And at other trail angels.  And at the Tahquitz.

But most frightening, I have heard that officials from the Cleveland National Forest, who have delegated their permitting authority to the PCTA (as have the other agencies), have asked the PCTA to institute limits on the number of permits issued for each day. This is exactly the type of harm that I fear bunching up the hikers will do.

The well-intended mitigation of the rideshare program (which BTW I proposed when I was still and ADZ organizing committee member) has little impact on the bunching effect.  Those that start two weeks ahead may be able to stay ahead.  But those who are just a week out get swallowed up by the pack.  Even with the rideshare program the tsunami of people still exists.  We had 30 arrive here in one afternoon, and at the peak of the season there were 60 here at once. And, unlike past years, people did not stay here, lingering for days.  We had very few who stayed more than a day or two.

Last year I said nothing, and let the debate go on without my input. Others took up the banner and carried it just fine without me.  But someone special recently reminded me that if people don't know why I'm choosing to boycott, the action (or lack thereof) has no meaning, and the purpose of the boycott becomes forgotten. So, I'm not being quiet this year.

I think the party the ADZ organizers throw for the hikers is about the best damn party on the planet.  There's much good, and honestly much love that flows from there. Their hard work and contributions, the classes, and showcase for equipment are incredible.  But they'd all be just as incredible, the party just as good, and the hikers would appreciate it all just as much elsewhere, without the "harmful side effects."

My honest and heartfelt concern,

L-Rod (short for Lightening Rod)
aka Donna Saufley for those who don't know me