[pct-l] April first start date:

The Mountain Goat themtgoat at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 12 21:37:40 CDT 2007

This is may be the best year to have a April 1st start date (no Foolin) .
It would be humorous if the Day of reckoning(April 1st) was the same
day as the start date! If things were to continue to go as they are, there
is a chance. Unfortunately, I have already spent my wad, and it's up to
the class of 07 to make a go of it. It is still possible that things will
drastically change.

But the thought of it, starting April 1st, and presumable a end date by the end of August for the average thru hiker is a possibility this year.

The bottom question is, is it realistic to enter the Sierra's 6 weeks or so after April 1st? That is the question.... May 15th? Who would have thought, who would have dared guess.....

3 weeks will give us the answer. In any case, enjoy all who are venturing a thru or section hike this year.  May it be an exciting fun filled year... :-)

-Mountain Goat-
"The PCT wasn't long enough, I want to do the 3,100' mile version of the CDT in 2014."

dsaufley at sprynet.com      dsaufley at sprynet.com
     Wed Mar  7 17:57:30 CST 2007

It's a reasonable start date IF the fair weather holds.  And while that's a big IF, the National Weather Service on Monday declared that Los Angeles is experiencing its driest year on record. Only about 2.40 inches of rain has fallen on downtown Los Angeles since July 1It's impossible to predict whether we will get slammed with storms or not.  In the high desert of Los Angeles County where we are on wells and completely ground water dependent, we are praying for more rain.

L-Rod