[pct-l] questions for couples

Marcia gottawalk at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 12 13:14:21 CDT 2007

Hi Amanda,

Ken and I hiked the PCT in 2000 and we are now gearing up for a PCT 2007.
Lots has changed in the gear area!

I carried a Garcia canister with 10 day's food for 2 from Kennedy Meadows to
VVR. What didn't fit in the canister Ken carried and we slept with thinking
we would eat the extra before we got to the problem areas (and a canister
was not required anywhere). We'll probably use the same method now: one
canister and eat first what won't fit. We really CRAM food in, choosing the
most compact dinners and using as little packaging as possible. We also go
without toothpaste, wipes and other extras that must go in a canister. (We
now like PopTarts instead of the oatmeal that we carried so that is a
problem now) Every crumb was gone when we got to VVR 10 days later. We'll
probably try the same idea of some food out. This method is really pushing
the limits because we were the skinniest hikers at VVR.

We used a Whisperlite on our JMT hikes, then bought a Snow Peak Giga Power
that uses canisters for the PCT. It's a fantastic stove and we ship fuel
when we ship guides and food. We calculated that alcohol stoves are lighter
but fuel for two for an alcohol stove is a push compared to the Giga Power.
Both alcohol and Giga Power are lighter than the Whisperlight system. The
Giga Power has served us well for 13,000 miles at all temperatures and
elevations (but we warm the canister under a jacket or in a sleeping bag
when temps are low.

In 2000 we used synthetic bags and will now carry Wester Mountaineering
down. We have opposite zips (a left and a right) to accomodate zipping
together. I sleep cold and we have not tried a quilt system.

Our tents in 2000 were single wall mesh with rain flies (we started with a
Walrus, broke a pole and ended with a Kelty). Since then we beta tested
Black Diamond tents that were to be sold as Lighthouse and Firstlight.
Firstlight with two people had too much condensation. We liked the side door
and window but the Lighthouse is bigger (thus too heavy) so we are now going
to carry to a Black Diamond HiLight with a side door and small floor area..
We got Fibraplex poles to save 6.1 ounces (see
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167681) so our single wall, free
standing tent will weigh in at around 2# 4 oz for two people.

I am an ounce weenie (obviously) and like my pack to weigh in at a pound. I
have carried Gossamer Gear Mariposas and G-4s. Scout and Sandy Mann
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=168282 got their pack weight pared
down to 8 oz! but I don't know what modifications they made.

Have a great hike!

YMMV,
Marcia
...GottaWalk NOW!