[pct-l] Oregon

Steel-Eye chelin at teleport.com
Fri Mar 9 20:38:43 CST 2007

Good evening, Brian,

There really isn't a trail system connecting Portland with the PCT.  Of a
total of approximately 40 road-miles along the Columbia River to Cascade
Locks, the last 15  is roughly paralleled by the Columbia Gorge Trail #400.
The trail is much longer than 15 miles because it climbs over cliff
headlands, and into canyons past incredibly waterfalls.  There isn't much in
the way of public transportation to the #400 trailhead or to Cascade Locks.

>From Portland to the PCT south of Mt. Hood is a bit better, although pretty
convoluted.  The MAX (Metro Area eXpress) Light Rail runs from downtown
Portland to Gresham.  There is met by a SAM (Sandy Area Metro) bus to go out
Rt. 26 to Sandy.  In Sandy one can change to the related Mountain Express
bus to go to Welches.  From there a road walk of a few miles will get to the
head of the Salmon River Trail # 742 which goes about 17 miles and connects
to another trail for about 3 miles which connects to an old logging road for
about 1.5 miles which crosses the PCT at Mile-2093.1.  I think what I just
told you is, you can't really do it that way.

A better deal would be to join the young snowboarders who hitch-hike up to
Timberline Ski Area from the area of Welches.  The PCT crosses about 300 m
north of Timberline Lodge.

Steel-Eye

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/