[pct-l] we need your help

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 16:43:00 CST 2007

Hi Larry and Kathy

The following are two lists of things hikers buy.

The lists were created by all the members of this list (PCT-L) who chose to
participate and the Kick Off http://pct77.org/adz/ coordinators in 2005 to
specifically help merchants along the trail.  In 2004 I noticed you already
carry a lot of these items and a few more not on the list.............. and
KONA COFFEE!!.

Very few hikers responded with a desire for prepared backpack foods but it
is on this list.  I'd be careful on this one.

Feel free to contact me with questions about this data.

See you in July

Warner Springs Monty

Monty Tam
montytam at gmail.com
760.612.5222

Groceries Hikers Buy

Ramen-Beef and Chicken are the most popular

Lipton Noodle Sides

Lipton Rice Sides

Macaroni and Cheese-Like the Kraft Boxes

Freeze Dried Backpack Entrees

Foil Tuna and chicken packets-3 oz.

Hamburger in foil packets

Other Foil meat and fish Packets

Canned tuna and other meats when foil packets are not available

Hard Italian salami

summer sausage

Pop Tarts

Breakfast Bars

Packets of Instant potatoes

Beef Jerky

Peanut Butter-Jars and packets

Nutella

String Cheese

Flavored Instant oatmeal Cereals

Instant White Rice

Pita bread

Flour tortillas

Brown rice cakes

Bagels

Crackers-Ritz, Wheat thins,

Dried Fruit

Nuts

Sunflower seeds

Cheese and Cracker snacks

All types of candy

Snickers and other candy bars

Hard Candy (Jolly Ranchers and others)

Energy Bars (Balance, Cliff, power Bars....)

Small packets of powdered milk

Instant pudding-Regular and sugar free (lighter)

Instant Coffee

Chocolate covered espresso beans

Ground Coffee-1/2 pound and under and restaurant one pot packets

Hot chocolate packets

Olive oil

Dehydrated Pasta Sauces

Catsup, mustard, mayo, salt, pepper, relish, hot sauce packets

Plain Pasta

Zip Locks-One Gallon

Toilet Paper-Single Rolls or they'll steal it from public restrooms.

While in town

Prepared foods

Deli foods(cheeses, meats, salads, sandwiches)

Ice Cream in Pints, ice cream sandwiches, ice cream bars

Very cold soda pop

V-8

Beer, wine, etc.

Other items Hikers Buy

Cooking Fuels

Denatured Alcohol

White Gas (Coleman Fuel) Quarts

Esbit fuel tabs (12)

Butane-propane canisters

DEET- 1 oz. pump spray and High DEET content insect repellants.

Duct Tape-THIS IS A MUST-small rolls preferred

Blister pads-mostly large

Large Blister Gel Pads

Dr. Scholl's Mole Skin, Molefoam, and Blister Treatment

Sport tape

1" BandAid Strips as opposed to assortments.

liquid skin

Super glue

Vaseline-very small tubes

Alcohol swabs

Ibuprophen, acetaminophen, Advil, aspirin, 50-100 size

Chapstick, Blistex

Sun Screen

Small tubes of toothpaste

Phone cards

Film

Batteries-AA, AAA, and others

Hiking socks and sock liners

Shoe and boot laces

Shipping materials-boxes, tape

Pens and paper

Services

Motel accommodations

Hot Showers-hikers will pay for showers

Public Transportation

Medical Facilities

Emergency Dental Care

Internet and phone access

Gathering Areas

A hiker box- a place to leave unneeded gear and supplies for other hikers
that might need them.

Laundry facilities, small boxes of soap

Postal services; USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.

ATM's

Restaurants

Hikers eat LOTS of food and LOTS of high calorie foods.

Burgers, pizza, pastas, Mexican, steaks, fish, eggs, pancakes, salads, fresh
vegetables, fresh fruits, lots of desserts, pies, ice cream, shakes, french
fries, onion rings, and all kinds