[pct-l] device advice

JOHN F PATTERSON yuppatt at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 7 09:03:08 CST 2007

Greetings : mucho , mucho , mucho ( Katie )
     You have unleashed the , " Techies " !
     Duck !
     Also you have ( with your lovely innocent question ) tapped into a / the never ending debate : which gear ( and  related subject : well meaning folks . )
     Am with L - Rod : map and compass have stood the test of time .
     Too , all the ( well meaning ) ' gifts ' we have all received before striking out alone on the A T , P C T , C D T . . . from even experienced ( well meaning ) people !
     My wonderful , wonderful older sister raised a family of four children in Mammoth Lakes ; ALL are , of course , skiers , hikers , out - door folks , yet , she got me ( insisted )  a HUGE bottle of certain salt / dehydrating tablets of some sort .
     " Oh thank you , Patty ! " ( ' Trashed ' em . ) ( WEIGHT ! ) ( Then kidded her about what was she thinking ? )
     She ' s the one also who right before I trod away from the Corps of Engineer 's fence at the border sent me an article about mountain lion attacks . Wha ?
     As in the US Army : KISS . Keep It Simple Stupid .You are not , ' stupid ' , of course , that is a figure of speech , but keep it to the tried and true verities as to the trail / going long distance . GPS , all are not yet there , in that category .
     Have a wonderful , wonderful experience !
              Rafter Jack