[pct-l] Fires.

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Mon Jun 25 13:34:58 CDT 2007

Granted, global warming and climate change is probably one contributing
factor.

Another major factor in the size and intensity of these fires is the
past century of fire suppression resulting in a huge build up of fuels
and lots of small trees which otherwise would be wiped out in more
frequent small fires. Most forests evolved with fire as part of their
life. Even then, some forests due have occasional almost total burns due
to species and environment.

The other major problem is all the houses and subdivisions built in
forests with the related expectation that we (government) should put out
fires to save their houses.

As hikers we need to accept that forests due burn.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>