[pct-l] Black bear snatches, kills 11-year-old Utah boy | www.tucsoncitizen.com (r)

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Wed Jun 20 19:34:50 CDT 2007

here's another link to the grandfather blaming the feds and a partial
quote. some of the other stories no longer come up when I search Google
news.

http://kutv.com/local/local_story_170134236.html

  Grandfather Of Bear Victim Blames Feds

       SLIDESHOW: Utah Is Black Bear Country
      <http://kutv.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_169115352>

       SLIDESHOW: Wildlife Officials Kill Black Bear
      <http://kutv.com/slideshows/local_slideshow_169154022>

/PROVO/ The grandfather of an 11-year-old boy who was killed by a black
bear blamed authorities Tuesday for not warning that the hulking animal
was believed to have harassed another group of campers at the same site
hours earlier.

Eldon Ives said the U.S. Forest Service should have shut down a nearby
30-site campground and warned everybody around that a dangerous bear was
loose on a flank of 11,749-foot Mount Timpanogos, about 30 miles
southeast of Salt Lake City.

``We're hoping that the Forest Service will do a better job protecting
campers,'' Eldon Ives told reporters at a news conference on his front
lawn.

[original article continues]

and here's a link to another story: http://www.sltrib.com/ci_6183553

Tortoise