[pct-l] Thoughts on Colin Fletcher - from mile 558

joel01 at ekit.com joel01 at ekit.com
Mon Jun 18 14:52:05 CDT 2007

I find myself very saddened to know that Colin Fletcher has passed
on. I first read the Thousand Mile Summer while in high school,
having randomly picked it off the library shelf. A book really can
change one's life.

On the numerous foot journeys I have taken I have always aspired to
find that balance between the physical and the sublime that Fletcher
expressed. While going through the San Jacintos I walked breifly with
a couple doing a weekend trip, when our conversation turned to
Fletcher. A comment from the husband brought a warm smile to my face
when he said, "It's almost as if the entire process of selecting
equipment, figuring out a route and then hauling all his gear around
was so that he could find a pleasant spot to make tea in the morning".

For me it's almost as if his books were a walker's equivalent of 'Zen
and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'; without ever connecting to
any particular philosophy, other than his own.

Well, back on the trail and on the way to Kennedy Meadows in the
morning.

Joel

It was then I knew I'd had enough,
Burned my credit card for fuel
Headed out to where the pavement turns to sand - Neil Young