[pct-l] Canister Stove: disposal of empty canister.

david booth dbooth at cyberone.com.au
Sat Jun 16 19:21:04 CDT 2007

I have been using these stoves for many years but always worry about
sensible disposal.
I dumped an 80% empty canister in a dumpster bin at a campground once
and had visions of a small explosion sometime later as the canister
was crushed and ignited by a spark.
Snow Peak sell a small punch but it is heavy and costs $9.
I now use a small carpet nail that can be successfully hit with a
rock to put a hole in the canister.
Then a foul-smelling greenhouse gas emerges to ruin the atmosphere of
the planet.
The other option of burning all the remaining gas can take a long
time and also ruins the atmosphere by pumping out CO2.
As batman famously said, "some days you can never get rid of a bomb."
Aussie Dave
Canberra, Australia
(Environmental activist.)