[pct-l] JMT Permit......BAD ADVICE given

Carl Siechert carlito at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 12:38:27 CDT 2007

I've gotta disagree with you on this one, Donna. If the agencies' goal was
to "ease the burden," they'd simply eliminate the permit requirement
altogether. The purpose of the permit system is two-fold: to limit the
number of people in a particular place at a particular time, and to gather
information about wilderness usage. Your end run around the rules (just
because you can do it without getting caught doesn't make it right) does
nothing to further either goal and, in fact, works against each one.

>From the PCTA's perspective, I don't know whether artificially inflating the
numbers helps in the long run, but I'd correct your statement to read "it
gives the PCTA *an erroneous* statistic to use in their assessment of trail
use"

Cheers,
Carl