[pct-l] JMT Permit......BAD ADVICE given

Donna Saufley dsaufley at sprynet.com
Sat Jun 16 13:22:53 CDT 2007

Jeff (aka Buzz Saw) and I have gotten 500+ mile permits for the PCT every
year for the past four years.  This is not only allowable, it gives the PCTA
a statistic to use in their assessment of trail use.

I believe that the agencies delegated the permitting authority to the PCTA
to ease the burden on the agencies.  I don't think there's really any
difference -- the important thing is to have a permit for the area you're
in, and know the rules.

I know of some folks who get a thru permit every year, so they can hike at
will without burdening agencies or themselves with getting individual
permits.  I don't see the harm in this at all.  Lots of folks do this
intending to hike the whole thing, but only wind up doing sections in the
end. Remember -- everyone is a section hiker until they complete an entire
thru hike, and the percentage of finishers is roughly 1/5 of those who start
out.

L-Rod