[pct-l] Gear shops San Fran

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sun Jun 10 19:09:14 CDT 2007

I remember Sierra Equipment. I bought my first backpack, an A16 and then
a replacement bag from Camp Trails for it. Also bought my original Svea
123 and the Sigg Tourister cook set there. Also bought his modified
little flashlight -- he drilled holes and put a short lanyard on it. As
I recall Bob had been injured in an accident in LA area involving a bus;
when he finally got his settlement he sold our and moved away. Sierra
Equipment went down hill as well as new competition from REI in
Berkeley. Original store was on Polk Street.

I remember Smile Equipment too. Used to go there on my lunch hour to buy
stuff. Bay Chapt Sierra Singles had several sets of Smile pots too. I
heard that Watters or some of them bought the dies to make the pots so
they could get more made.

There was another store in SF on the second floor of a building near
Union Square. Bought a pair of boots there; store is long gone. Can't
think of the name.

Do you remember / still have the Sigg pots and/or the Sigg aluminum fuel
bottles? I got my original from Sierra Equipment as well as another
stopper drilled with a spout for easy fueling the Svea.

A lot of this stuff was "light weight" in those days.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>