[pct-l] Article About Stehekin Valley Road

Postholer public at postholer.com
Wed Jul 25 12:52:36 CDT 2007

> it would seem that routing the road further away from the river would
> have less impact than right next to the river, where erosion and flooding
> can collapse it

It seems the recently non-existent road is probably in the best interest of
the forest and those willing to walk into it.

> The fire was in a heavily timbered area on a dangerously steep hillside;
> with no road, access for firefighters and equipment was limited.

Fear tactic, right? We're talking about Stehekin? Accessable by foot, ferry
or float plane only? Isn't equipment limited anyway? In the terrain you
speak of, 100 trucks and a 8-lane highway wouldn't matter. Helo's or
air-lifted hand crews would be the only option. Unless, of course you
*really* want to build some roads.

Obviously, your post is a poorly veiled attempt to support the poor,
victimized carpet-bagger. In the land of 'we want roads but not telephones',
an independent person would find another way to generate income. This is
America, after all.

Good luck with your (potentially lost) cause.