[pct-l] Bizarre Moment

Dcsmith36 at aol.com Dcsmith36 at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 02:30:55 CDT 2007

I witnessed something similar many years ago, but not nearly  so dramatic.
It was the middle of August in a dense old growth forest on  Indian Creek near
Wenatchee.  It was hot as heck and must have been  very low humidity. Every
now and then as we hiked along we heard what sounded  like pistol shots.  It was
strange and very random. Finally, we saw a dead  branch 5 - 6 inches across
pop off a tree - KPOW!! - and fall horizontally to  the ground with a clatter.

Not nearly as exciting as exploding trees in a freak  windstorm, but curious
and interesting.