[pct-l] the Class of 2007 leader board, as of 7/21

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Sun Jul 22 01:38:40 CDT 2007

Hello from a long-time list lurker.

While I wholly subscribe to the philosophy of "the person who gets to
Manning first *loses*" there is probably a substantial readership who is
interested in knowing who's on the leading edge of the class right now.

I was strolling through lovely Donomore Meadows the other day, admiring all
the fine cows, and happened to note the following dates and names at the
CA/OR register. My apologies in advance if I've inadvertently omitted any
bona fide thrus doing a contiguous Campo-to-Manning walk:

1) 6/28 -- Eric D. (another yo-yo attempt)
2) 7/4 -- Sideshow
3) 7/6 -- Billy Goat, Capt. America, T-Minus (flipped from way down south)
4) 7/10 -- Just Dave
5) 7/12 -- Sideshow Bob
6) 7/12 -- Tattoo Joe (Kisner), gunning to break Squeaky's unsupported
speed record
7) 7/15 -- Swami
8) 7/18 -- Pathfinder

In the last few days, I've spent time on the trail with Tattoo Joe, Swami
and Pathfinder. All three are in excellent health and spirits. Swami and
Pathfinder are turning 25-30s. Joe is turning 40s and taking very few
zeros. Everyone mentioned above is now at Crater or well beyond.

In other news of note from the State of Jefferson, I saw Ron Bergquist
today. The reconstruction of Callahan's is coming along, but not as fast as
they'd originally projected. Latest ETA puts them reopening well into next
spring. Hiker package handling service is still going, with the boxes
sitting on the porch of the Bergquist home on the premises.

The lightning fires that had resulted in near-whiteout conditions from Etna
through the Oregon line last week were largely extinguished by two 10-hour
torrential downpours this past week. With the exception of one burned snag
directly on the trail just prior to the Lovers Camp TH spur prior to Marble
Valley, the PCT was not directly impacted by the fires, the bulk of which
hit the neighboring Happy Camp ranger district to the west.

Looks like smooth sailing for the pack from Shasta through to Crater. No
blowdowns, obstructions, etc. of any consequence. No reroutes or closures.
Seasonal water sources are so-so. Not terrible, but some of the smaller
springs and creeklets listed as year-round in the databook are dry or down
to mud seeps. Grider Creek drainage is a bit brushy. (Mind that poison
oak.) Miracle of miracles: The fearsome Oregon mosquitos are nearly
non-existent in this dry year. I'll post a very lengthy and detailed
mile-by-mile water-and-conditions report for Shasta through Fish Lake when
I get back from the southland in a few days.

Sincerely,

David Plotnikoff
PCT 2000-2006
Again 2007-