[pct-l] New Hiking Poles Arrived

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Sat Jul 21 10:56:20 CDT 2007

I just did a little looking at the trekking poles on REI's site.

I have a couple of objections:

*  grips are in-line / straight with the shaft. Which means one's wrist
bends and flexes much more than a slanted ergometric grip like the
Lekis. I've found this important as I have carpal-tunnel syndrome and/or
arthritis in my wrists which leads to pain with straight grips.

*  I used to have a pair of poles with the shock-absorbing feature.
Found it to be a hindrance rather than a help. When I plant a pole, I
like the solid feeling of a non shock-absorbing pole and no give when I
need to put a lot of weight on it to maintain balance.  Usually as I
walk, I alternately swing each pole forward and let the tip drop onto
the ground with one pole swing to two steps. This provides balance
without any shock.

* IMHO, normally one shouldn't be using the hands and poles to carry
one's weight. Our legs are stronger in both muscle and bone and adapted
to carrying our weight; not so our arms. I only transfer weight on
difficult or rugged uphill or downhill when I need the assist for balance.

My grips also have a safety break-away strap attachment in case a pole
gets caught when I fall. Never needed the break-away. However, this
attachment makes it very easy for me to disconnect the straps from the
poles when I stop for a quick drink or whatever. I can't tell from
Leki's site if this feature is on their new poles.

HYOH! ; but hike!

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>