[pct-l] New Hiking Poles Arrived

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Sat Jul 21 03:06:11 CDT 2007

I got my new REI carbon Light Shock hiking poles ($149 pair) and made my
normal modifications.  The poles look very nice and should work well on the
trail.  Modifications are:

1.  Reflective tape on the shaft about 3 inches below the grips.   Then I put
some clear tape over it for protection.
2.  Gorilla Tape on the bottom to help keep the small basket on  better.  And
some around the lower part of the shaft to protect it from  rocks, etc.
Plus, I put a little around the lower lock to help keep it on  better.  The upper
lock has to slide, so no tape there.

Each pole weighs in at 7.3 ounces after modifications.  Not bad at all  for a
robust hiking pole.  Remember, you can get 2-3 ounce balancing  poles if you
do not need the extra leg/knee support.  See  GossamerGear.com.

One thing that really disappointed me was the lack of instructions from REI
with the poles.  You and I know how to fit and use hiking poles properly,  but
I really doubt most customers know these things.  Here are some  examples:

1.  The pole length should be adjusted, so that your fore arms are  parallel
to the floor.
2.  The all important hand grip strap should be adjusted, so that it  is snug
across the palm/side of the hand.  You properly use the strap by  sliding
your hand up the pole shaft through the strap and gripping the hand  grip.  As
you use the pole, you should feel the weight on the straps and  not on the hand
grip.

Anyway, may be it is just me that is upset by the lack of customer
instructions or they forgot to ship them.  I think REI could do so much  more in the
gear education and presentation area, but they are a big retail  sales, sales,
sales giant now and not the good old COOP of years past.  My  hiking pal,
Rattlesnake the Macaroni, and I use to go to their store almost 40  years ago.  I
have been a member for that long and even have a catalog from  1973.  Enough.

Your pal, Switchback the Pole