[pct-l] New Hiking Poles

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Mon Jul 16 03:11:08 CDT 2007

I decided to get the REI carbon poles (#750835).  I had some gift
certificates, so I used them on these poles.  They cost $149 and weigh in  at around 7
ounces each.  Not bad for hiking poles.  I was using the  GossamerGear.com
carbon balancing poles.  They weigh in at under 3  ounces each and are great.

But I needed to go back to regular hiking type poles due to my knees/legs
not being what they used to.  I needed a good strap system to take some  weight
off my knees/legs as I walk.  Of course, I will modify the new poles  when I
get them.  I will add some reflective tape to the top area and a  little Duct
tape to the bottom third of the pole, where they take a  beating.

Remember, that a lot of hikers use their poles/hand strap incorrectly  on the
trail.  The proper way to use a pole is to put your hand on the pole  shaft
and slide it up to the hand grip through the strap.  The strap is key  to using
the hiking pole.  The strap should be snug across the hand below  the little
finger.  But you probably know all this already.

I will see you on the Mt. Whitney trail in August and the ALDHA-West
Gathering in September.  I plan to do much trailtown sacking and debauchery  up and
down CA hwy. 395.  Also, trail campsite pillaging and plundering  will be in
order.  I will be so ashamed.  But may be I will not be  able to do that, since
some Female Leadership Terminators may be around on these  expeditions to keep
an eye on me.

I thank you for your attention.

Switchback the Trail Pirate