[pct-l] New Umbrella System

Hiker97 at aol.com Hiker97 at aol.com
Fri Jul 13 17:32:31 CDT 2007

Yes, once again your pal, Switchback, has come through for you.  I  have a
new 7.3 ounce umbrella system.
I got a Luxurylite.com umbrella and used the world famous, "Switchback's
Handsfree Umbrella Holder" device with it.

What is so nice about this system is that I can collapse the extended
umbrella without taking off my holder for the pack shoulder strap  --- like  when a
gust of wind comes up or you are going through a tight spot on the  trail.
This is super cool.  The negative is that the umbrella is  slightly smaller than
my old GoLite Chrome Dome.  But I do not think this  will be a problem.  The
new umbrella is tan in color.

I took the foam pipe installation umbrella holder (to attached to your pack
shoulder strap easily) and attached it permanently to the umbrella shaft with
Duct tape.  Then I cut a small portion of foam to go around the bottom of
the shaft and attached with glue and Duct tape.  This so when the wind pops  up
and tries to pull the shaft out of the holder there will be a "stopper" to
keep it in place in the foam holder.  This can happen more than you think  with
the wind ambushing you along the trail.  The foam holder is cut just  long
enough so the umbrella can be collapsed with no problem as you walk.

The whole thing weighs in at 7.3 ounces, which I think is very acceptable
for the benefits.  You are greatly protected from the sun (radiation) and  you
dehydrate less -- your water lasts longer on the trail.  Plus if it is  raining
you have some nice protection with your rain gear on.  Not bad at  all.

By the way, I added a small piece of Velcro tape to my ThermoRest Trekker
pillow case to keep the new LuxuryLite.com pillow inside better.  This  simple
improvement will have huge benefits.  I glued it on, so it would  stick better.
 You practically melt off to sleep with this pillow and some  nice foam under
you.

I thank you for your attention and support.

Switchback the Trail Motel