[pct-l] Independence fire

Matt Maxon matt at mattmaxon.com
Sat Jul 7 18:32:38 CDT 2007

asabat at 4jeffrey.net wrote:
> Road to Onion Valley closed. 395 now open.

This is known as the Inyo Complex fire

http://www.inciweb.org/incident/767/

      Summary

A thunder and lightning storm moved quickly through the Eastern Sierra
Friday afternoon, July 6, 2007, igniting approximately 10 fires being
managed as the Inyo Complex. As of 8:00 Saturday morning, the three
biggest fires still actively burning are: 1)The Oak Fire burning west
and north of Independence, on both sides of US 395 2) The Seven Fire
burning west and north of Independence 3) The Sage Fire burning in Big
Pine Canyon.

The following areas have been evacuated: Oak Creek Campground, Upper and
Lower Grey's Meadow Campground, Onion Valley Campground, Seven Pines,
Big Pine Canyon Campgrounds, Independence Creek Campground, and Glacier
Lodge.

Currently the roads up Big Pine Canyon, the North Fork of Oak Creek
Canyon, and Onion Valley Road are closed to the public.

The Sage Fire has now burned 5,000 acres and the Oak and Seven Fires
have now merged and have burned 12,000 acres.

Trail90