[pct-l] About how many thru hikers per year

Steve Fosdick hikin_steve at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 13:27:43 CDT 2007

I'm not exactly sure of the entire route, and that might even change once I'm on the road.

  I know I'll start with one wheel dipped in the Pacific Ocean, mostly likely here in Santa Monica (LA), and I'll dip the other wheel in the Atlantic near York Town, VA, not too far from DC.

  There are a few towns I want to visit along the way: Santa Fe, San Antonio, maybe Nashville (although it may be too far North).

  I heard that the old Route 66 is not too bad for biking, but I still have a lot of research to do. I've been told that the trip will be about 4,000 miles, and that I should expect it will take me 2 to 3 months at least.

  I've been looking for a good list to join on subject, but have not found one yet. (Any suggestions, anyone?)

  Hikin_Steve

Sashenka Lopez <apochalypse at gmail.com> wrote:
  oh my goodness... a bike ride eh?  i've been wanting to ride across country as well... thought i might do it down the coast.  how are you planning your route?
sashenka

  On 7/5/07, Steve Fosdick <hikin_steve at yahoo.com> wrote:  L-Rod wrote:

  > Bottom line, if you're not prepared to be alone -- with the skills,
> equipment, and mental fortitude to be out there by yourself, it could have
> a fundamental effect on your hike.

  Being alone has never been an issue for me. It gives me the opportunity to work on the book I'm writing and to think! I agree with the comments you made regarding the social aspects of the hiking experinece (or lack there of!). I could see that someone might use that as an excuse to end their hike, but I seriously doubt that would be enough for me to quit. More likely would be an injury, as was the case on my 55 mile PCT hike last summer in Oregon.

  I"m also making plans to do a coast to coast bike ride (LA to DC) in 2008. Not sure yet if the bike ride will be prior to or following the hike, and I'm fairly certain that the ride will be solo for the very same reasons as my hike will be solo.

  Thanks again for your response.

  I'm still waiting for an answer to my original question: About how many thru hikers are there on the PCT each year? What percentage hike North?

  Hikin_Steve

unsubscribe or change options:

--
Flesh from flesh