[pct-l] About how many thru hikers per year

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Thu Jul 5 12:24:39 CDT 2007

Steve Fosdick wrote:

> I think I do better hiking solo, at my own pace and on my own
> schedule, although I'm sure I would find other hikers that would be
> going at my same pace in different sections. And there might be zero
> mile days, too, while others would want to press on. I might even
> decide to take a side trip or two, that might take me off the trrail
> for a while in places.

most informal hiking partnerships on the pct tend to be just that-
informal. ie, you'll have a general constellation of hikers around you,
that you will see from day to day, sometimes take lunch with, sometimes
camp with, sometimes share a motel room with, but that doesn't mean that
you're literally hiking in lockstep with them all the way. sometimes you
may not see so-and-so for a few days, then they'll turn up and you'll
end up leapfrogging with them for a few days, maybe even planning your
schedule together, then you'll break off again.

another thing to keep in mind is that you definitely don't want to latch
yourself onto anyone too closely without being absolutely sure that they
also want to latch onto someone. hikers tend to be very friendly and
sociable, but most value their freedom to seek solitude highly as well,
and even though they may like you, things can get claustrophobic if one
person is thinking "we're hiking partners" and the other is thinking
"nice guy, but i'm not altering my plans for anyone." hence the phrase
"hike your own hike."

girlscout