[pct-l] About how many thru hikers per year

Steve Fosdick hikin_steve at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 5 12:14:23 CDT 2007

Girlscout wrote:

  >bottom line is, if you want/need others to hike with, and you don't
>already have a partner that you have alot of previous experience with,
>the best approach is to just make friends on the trail. you'll have
>alot to choose from, and will naturally fall in with those who are hiking at
 >a similar pace. also, you'll always have the freedom to break away from
>anyone, should there be reason to, without any extra worry over
>breaking some sort of formal partnership that was set up in advance.

  Great advice. I know my roommate won't be going on my hike. We hiked a very short hike (about 2 miles) at the top of the Palm Springs Tram earlier this week, and he complained about how long and steep the trail was the whole way.

  I think I do better hiking solo, at my own pace and on my own schedule, although I'm sure I would find other hikers that would be going at my same pace in different sections. And there might be zero mile days, too, while others would want to press on. I might even decide to take a side trip or two, that might take me off the trrail for a while in places.

  I'll leave the door open for anyone that thinks they are up for the hike, but as of today, I will stop looking for a hiking partner.

  Hikin_Steve