[pct-l] About how many thru hikers per year

Pea Hicks phix at optigan.com
Thu Jul 5 11:59:38 CDT 2007

Steve Fosdick wrote:

> So far, I can't seem to find ANYONE that wants to go with me, so I'll
> do it solo. That would lead to another important question ... of the
> _____ hikers that thru hike each year, about how many go solo? I
> always tell people that you are never really "alone" much because of
> all the other hikers out there.

hi steve, you'll find that most folks on the trail are technically solo.
most that are formally partnered with someone tend to be couples, either
married or not. often you'll find folks who start out hiking with a
friend, and they'll split up at some point, usually because their
long-distance hiking styles turn out to be insufficiently compatible.

bottom line is, if you want/need others to hike with, and you don't
already have a partner that you have alot of previous experience with,
the best approach is to just make friends on the trail. you'll have alot
to choose from, and will naturally fall in with those who are hiking at
a similar pace. also, you'll always have the freedom to break away from
anyone, should there be reason to, without any extra worry over breaking
some sort of formal partnership that was set up in advance.

hope this helps

girlscout