[pct-l] Bear canisters, 4-8 days of food...

The Mountain Goat themtgoat at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 31 21:30:25 CST 2007

After looking at that (Yosemite) map, I think you could possible plan an entire Sierra Section hike without needing the bear can, with the possible exception of Sequoia National Park. as I was not able to be certain of the requirements and the location of bear boxes.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/seki/snrm/wildlife/food_storage.htm

I liked having it although, then I didn't even have to think about hanging food. I
used the wild Idea's barricade (weekender). Its 1LB 15oz.

http://www.wild-ideas.net/products.html

I could fit 8 days of food in it. I had about 2LB's of food a day for the Sierra
section of the PCT. Some people may need closer to 3LB's a day. My food,
Mostly nuts and dried fruits and as therefore fairly dense. (Please don't inidate
me with the known implications of the word associations). You could probably
plan on at least 4-6 days of food is this, depending on your appetite. Their web
site said 6 days off food in the weekender...FYI.

There is a expedition size that is almost half again the size  of the weekender, if
you were traveling in pairs / couples. You might have some trouble fitting it in some packs. I was able to fit my barricade (weekender) in a Mountain-Smith
Ghost pack (2005 thru hike, Ghost was made in 2003, at 3,100 Cubic inches.)

-Mountain Goat-
PCT 2005
PCT or CDT in 2014

yogi      yogihikes at sbcglobal.net
     Wed Jan 31 18:21:48 CST 2007

this map shows where cannisters are required in
Yosemite:

http://www.nps.gov/archive/yose/wilderness/bfoodstorage.gif

yogi
www.pcthandbook.com