[pct-l] bears' tastes and dislikes

Sandra Smith sandrams at olypen.com
Thu Jan 25 12:47:29 CST 2007

I'd agree....bears are very individual, and what discourages one just
annoys another.  We LIVE in the foothills of the Olympic Mts in WA,
and for awhile had an overabundance of bears (Now we seem to have an
overabundance of cougars).  When one bear kept coming right up on the
porch to eat the bird seed, we finally had to run double electric
line from a solar charger (we're 2 miles past the power lines) to
discourage him.  However, if he were scared (see below), he'd go
right through it, squealing as his nose hit the charged lines (the
rest of him was so furry it didn't seem to make much of an
impression).  But back to what scared him:  my mother.  One morning
she opened the door to find him on the porch.  So she threw a whole
dishpan full of cold water right in his face.  After that, he ran
whenever he saw her....but not when he saw ME!    Red pepper on the
spots he liked didn't discourage him.  Neither did garlic.

Sandy from the Olympics