[pct-l] Pocketmail

Mark Jernigan footslogger03 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 22 12:32:13 CST 2007

I'm gonna demonstrate my ignorance here      ...but with Pocketmail is it true that you buy the device and then just sign up for service WHEN you need it.  In other words   ...you could take a 6 month service package to cover a thru-hike but otherwise just let the device sit in a drawer at home until the next hike and not be paying any service ?     ...or am I all wet, and it's an ALL or NONE situation ??

  Thanks,

  'Slogger
  AT 2003

Ian Carbone <ian.carbone at gmail.com> wrote:
  Gary brought up exactly what my next question was going to be. Is a
Pocketmail worth it or do enough of these towns have cell phone service,
making cell phone email the preferable option? I would rather use a
blackberry-type setup as previously mentioned, but I wonder if this is
feasible.

Mr. Christmas

On 1/22/07, gwtmp01 at mac.com wrote:

> On Jan 22, 2007, at 11:56 AM, Dan Fenn wrote:
> > Although I've heard some good things about Pocketmail, I've also
> > heard some pretty negative things as well (composer craps out,
> > lousy service, unreliable, etc.)...so what else is new, right?
>
> I've never had a problem with the device or the service. AT, PCT,
> and several
> longish section hikes. I keep it in a ziplock bag while hiking. I
> never use the
> backlit display so the AA batteries keep it going for a long while.
> It is reasonably
> light and OK to type on and works with any phone.
>
> I think the probability of finding a phone in trail towns is higher
> than the probability
> of getting a decent wireless signal for a cell/blackberry device.
>
> Gary Wright

unsubscribe or change options: