[pct-l] Pocketmail

Ken Powers kdpo at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 22 12:26:29 CST 2007

Actually Pocketmail works with analog phones. Most cell phones can be set to
analog, but the setting on my phone is buried in many levels of menus. I had
to get tech support to tell me how to find the setting. They also warned
that the analog mode uses cell phone batteries much faster and that you
should reset the mode to digital after using analog. (More menus!)

We found that using pay phones worked pretty well. We got pretty good at
spotting them as we arrived in town. We even found some in strange locations
outside of towns on the ADT. BUT, pay phones are becoming less frequent in
rural America. They just are not profitable any more with all the cell phone
users. Several towns on the ADT had no pay phones, but we found we could
talk businesses into letting us use their phone for a couple minutes. We
also found some regions (ADT again) had phone companies whose pay phones
didn't work with Pocketmail. In some cases you could set the Pocketmail
speed to a slower baud rate (more menus) and in some cases it flat didn't
work. It becomes a balancing act between no cell phone coverage and no pay
phones in small towns. (We did find that Lima, MT, on the CDT,  had no cell
phone coverage - period.)

We have used Pocketmail on 3 long hikes and like it. We did soak our
Pocketmail in a thunderstorm in Missouri on the ADT. The Ziploc had
developed a hole and was in the corner of our tent where a small hole let in
water. An unfortunate coincidence that soaked the Pocketmail Composer.

I recently saw hikers using a cell phone with a small keyboard. That perked
my interest in carrying a cell phone for journaling. The keyboard was tiny
and looked hard to use. I haven't explored that possibility yet. The cell
phone probably wouldn't have coverage on the PCT anyway.

Ken
www.GottaWalk.com