[pct-l] confusion over climbing Whitney:clarification

gwtmp01 at mac.com gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Jan 17 11:08:08 CST 2007

On Jan 17, 2007, at 3:14 AM, montypct wrote:
> 2004 I hiked up the west side.  The ranger came up to the top and was
> checking for permits.  After he checked the other people he came up
> to me
> and a friend and said "You guys are thru-hikers".  I think he was
> standing
> down wind.  He didn't ask for a permit, but he did not say we did
> not need
> one.  I think what I am trying to say here is.............maybe
> nothing.

I don't have any special knowledge about the regulations but if a permit
isn't actually needed then one might wonder why the PCTA bothers to
include
it as on option on their thru-hiker permit?  I'm giving the PCTA the
benefit
of the doubt that they have gotten some sort of definitive answer and
that
the permit is required (i.e., you might be fined by a ranger who was
following
the rules).

Gary Wright (Radar)