[pct-l] confusion over climbing Whitney:clarification

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 02:14:34 CST 2007

> If you  climb from the
> west side, and descend back down the west side, you DO NOT  need this
> special permit.

2004 I hiked up the west side.  The ranger came up to the top and was
checking for permits.  After he checked the other people he came up to me
and a friend and said "You guys are thru-hikers".  I think he was standing
down wind.  He didn't ask for a permit, but he did not say we did not need
one.  I think what I am trying to say here is.............maybe nothing.

Warner Springs Monty