[pct-l] sleeping bag

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Wed Jan 17 00:51:07 CST 2007

I think you are being a little aggressive with your estimates.  A tent may
add 10 degrees, but rarely more. A liner may add 10, but more likely 5.

I actually think that is a heavy bag, for the temp.  For 40 deg, I'd
expect under a lb.

I'm a big guy, a warm sleeper, and I've been very happy with my 20 deg
Western Mountaineering Alpenlite.  Weights 1# 15 oz.  Which is about the
same as you are using, including the weight of the liner.  But a huge
difference in warmth.

With the "big two":  Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends, you
consistantly hear that they exceed their ratings.  With the next tier,
into which  North Face *maybe* fits, they rarely provide toasty warmth at
the rating, just not bone-cold freezing.

At least for the Sierra, you will almost certainly need a warmer bag/combo.

However, you will have a chance to hike Socal and check it out.  By the
time you get to Hiker Heaven, you will have a good idea of how it is going
to go. Make sure that you have a thermometer, so you can do comparisons of
comfort/temperature.   If you are not confident by that time, you can run
down into LA to Adventure16, a store who knows PCT'ers well, and carries
Western Mountaineering bags.

g'luck!

Ken