[pct-l] confusion over climbing Whitney:clarification

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Wed Jan 17 00:32:52 CST 2007

There seems to be confusion over what you need to have to climb Whitney,
as part of a PCT trek.  The answer:  nothing extra.

The only issue is if you EXIT over Trail Crest Pass, and descend down
the Main Mt. Whitney Trail.  Then you DO need a Trail Crest Exit Permit,
which would need to be reserved approximately 6 months in advance (the
USFS is generally cook if you are on such a long hike, and are off by
several days..), and does require a fee of $15.  If you climb from the
west side, and descend back down the west side, you DO NOT need this
special permit.

Here is the exact wording from the USFS website:

"My trip is going to Mt. Whitney, but we are starting on a different
trail (starting in Inyo National Forest).
Only the main Mt Whitney trail is subject to the lottery. If you will
begin by some other route you can reserve six months in advance of your
entry date. The $15.00 per person reservation fee will apply instead of
the $5.00 per person fee. *If you will exit or descend via the main Mt.
Whitney trail an exit quota will apply, called Trail Crest Exit.*"

(note:  the $5 fee they mention is the cost of reserving a permit on a
different trail IN the Inyo National Forest, other than the Mt. Whitney
Trail.)