[pct-l] enough time to plan?

bluebrain at bluebrain.ca bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Tue Jan 16 17:29:35 CST 2007

Amanda

Like everything else, the opinions on this will differ significantly!

Personally speaking, I don't think much planning is needed to thru-hike.
I met people in 03 who had hit the trail with less than a week of prep
time (very last minute decision) and they made it through.  I met someone
last year who was too busy to do any real "planning", and made it through.
 I don't think extensive planning is key to success at all.  Many hikers
"styles" don't involve much planning at all beyond getting gear together.

The real feeling I got when I was on the PCT was that most people's plans
ended up very quickly meaning nothing on the trail as too many other
factors effected the actual dates they'd arrive at tows, where they'd
decide to rest and where they'd decide to push hard, or skip, or whatever.

You need the books, you need the gear, you need some idea of what you're
in for, but you can resupply as you go, you can pick up a wealth of info
from others here or on the trail.

Just my two bits, but I think your three months is more than ample time,
you just need to make your gear selections asap.

If you're not going to get another chance (or even if you do) it's a
no-brainer!  Get out there!  It's amazing.

Cheers,
Paul