[pct-l] Campo Start Options

Roger Carpenter rogercarpenter at comcast.net
Tue Jan 16 14:39:10 CST 2007

Hi Jeff.  I see no problem camping near the border if you do it smartly.  In
1996 I started my thru-hike in Campo in the early evening, hiked across the
highway and eventually selected a brushy area away from the trail to camp.
This was one-half mile north of the railroad tracks after hiking 3.5 miles
that evening.  The idea is to get off the trail because many immigrants
walking at night will use the PCT.  In fact I was awakened by the sound of
footsteps in the distance but I was far enough away and hidden in the brush
to keep from being seen.  I did not set up my tarp and was in my dark
sleeping bag.  It would have been very unlikely an immigrant would have seen
me.  I'm sure some will disagree with me on the safety of my plan, but it's
a small risk in my opinion.

A lot of hikers attend the kickoff event at Lake Morena and get a ride to
the border in the morning and essentially day-hike back to Lake Morena.  But
you have chosen to start before the kickoff weekend.

Roger Carpenter