[pct-l] tent stakes

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sat Jan 13 23:25:40 CST 2007

We use an REI half dome tent, which has a mostly mesh body.  When it
rains and we use the fly, we want to stake it well out so that it sheds
rain far away from the tent body and doesn't flap in the wind.  The Half
dome is freestanding, and our gear holds it down just fine, so we rarely
use any tent stakes at all.  On the fly we put pieces of round elastic
cord on all the tie-out points.  The cord has a loop tied in the end.
When we are setting up the fly for rain we gather some short sticks and
some good sized rocks.  Put a short stick through the elastic loop, lay
the stick on the ground, set the rock on top of it.  This is way easier
than driving stakes into the ground, IMHO.
Every year we come home with a collection of tent stakes we have found
lying around empty campsites.  Switchbacks dayglo paint idea would be a
good idea to prevent us collecting your stakes.
Marion