[pct-l] Guide book

JoAnn M. Michael jomike at cot.net
Sat Jan 13 10:59:20 CST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: JoAnn M. Michael
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2007 11:09 AM
Subject: Guide Book gouging

I hope everyone knows what the Pacific Crest Trail means to me. For those who know me personally and/or through this list, know PCT has a very solid hold of my heart and yes, soul.

And yet, the Association does in fact exist on a very large scale to generate revenue. They created as many dollars as possible for numerous issues, most notably at present, to buy all lands that are presently held by private individuals to be able to protect the trail and it's immediate surrounding areas. I firmly believe in what they are striving for.

I have had some very strong disagreements with the Association that have not been aired on this forum for I deem it not to be appropriate. I have dealt with numerous members of the Board of Directors, President of the Association and Executive Director also, on miscellaneous issues, primary tactic to raise funds. It is public knowledge our present Executive Director was hired specifically due to her experience in generating funds for non-profits. And, at this she is succeeding on a large level.

The trail would be in total shambles without the Association. Without the Association so much of what we all love and cherish about the PCT would either not exist and/or have a whole direct and less appealing appearance. I personally am thankful, though not totally accepting of their techniques, for the Association. But, let's not forget to "...protect and preserve..." the PCT takes money, lots of it.

Respectfully,

are we there yet